Thursday, May 12, 2011

Warm heart.




The Journal interviewed this man regarding the Great Flood of 1927 for yesterday's paper. From what he could remember, his dad made his mom and the kids, himself included, leave the Delta and head to higher ground. Valley Grant and the colored hand stayed behind to help the stubborn folks.

"They helped pick folks up who were stranded," Grant said. "He told me one time they went up to an attic of an old house. There was an old black man up there.

"(Valley Grant) said, 'Come on up in the boat, and we'll take you out.'

"He said, 'Can I bring my chickens?'

"They said, 'No, you can't bring your chickens.'

"So he stayed with his chickens. Don't know what happened to him."


There sure isn't anything like good story-tellin', chicken love, and the wrath of God.

As I type, there is a crew from the County in the backyard cleaning up the mess made from the storm that brought all of those tornado's a few weeks ago. There's no doubt that we're blessed beyond measure when I look at our neighbors in Smithville and such, but I can't help but having a fuzzy feeling in my gut when I see people help their neighbors. :)

P.S. School's out for summer and I'm hooooooooooooooooooooooome!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment